- Created by: Damilola
- Created on: 08-06-12 16:10
NATURE VS NURTURE
Definition of Nature:Nature explains behaviour is innate
Research methods:Family, Adoption,Twins, brain scans,experiments,
Topic areas: Ocd,Phobias,Substance abuse, Schizophrenia Gender
Definition of Nurture:Nurture explains behaviour as learnt through factors in our enviroment
Research Methods: cross cultural studies
Topic areas: Ocd,Phobias,Substance abuse,Schizophrenia,Gender
Nature STRENGTHS AND LIMITATIONS
1) Scientifically tested,large pairs of twins (Mcguffin) .
2) Experiments have influenced useful applications for treatments.
NATURE – LIMITATIONS
1) Neglects the role of the environment.
2) explains behaviour poorly too deterministic e.g Substance abuse choice wether or not to drink alcohol
NURTURE strenghts and limitations
1) Takes the environment into consideration.
2)Has created useful treatments such as behaviour therapy.
Neglects the biological impact on behaviour.
Nurture + Nurture = Interactionist
Piaget cognitive development, we inherit schemas but cognitive development depends on our interactions with the environment