Problems and Causes
- Global Warming - Humans - Drive less
- Deforestation - Humans - Use less palm oil, cut down less tress
- Sea Pollution - Humans, boats, oil, fishing
- Natural Disasters - Global warming? - Reduce consequences
- Extinction - Humans and nature, hunting - Protect animals
- sea levels have rose 10-20 cm in the 20th century
- UK has 1% world population but produces 2.5% worlds carbon dioxide
- One in four fish is thrown back into the sea dead!
- Polars bears could vanish within 70 years
- Everyday, species become extinct due to deforestation.
- Between 7-20% of cancers are thought to be caused by pollution
Different sorts of pollution
There are three main types;
- Global warming
- Carbon dioxide produced forms a barrier around the earth like the glass in a greenhouse.
- Acid rain
- Dangerous gases mix with rain to from acid. Can harm buildings, crops and animals.
- Fertilizers wash into rivers and lakes and makes plants grow which take oxygen from animals
- Radio active
- Power stations produce waste which can take millions of year to become safe.
Things Designed to help the Natural World
Kyoto Protocol is an agreement to cut emissions by 15%
The EU has introduced fishing quotas to help declining fish populations
The congestion charge in London tackles congestion to reduce pollution
The green party is a political party which focuses on environmental issues
Green peace educate the public on how to be more green
Recycling can help reduce rubbish
Conservation of energy!
Use or abuse of animals
- Drug Testing
- Cosmetic Testing
Reasons for being a Vege
Cruel methods in farming
No need to eat meat
Less farmland needed for plants
Vege food is safe
Religious Views- General
- Responsibility- humans are accountable for the way in which they use the world
- Stewardship- humans do not own the planet. They have the sacred right to look after it.
- Creation- the world was created by God so should be respected.
- Sanctity of Life- life is sacred and deserves respect, including animals.
- Christian duty to conserve the earth for future generations
- Urge the government to use resources fairly and reduce the effect of pollution
- CAFOD, Christian aid etc. are involved with environmental issues as well
- 'You made him ruler over the works of your hands'
- Humans are part of nature, their actions make it what it is (good or bad).
- Present world is result of selfish desires and actions in the past, change must happen
- Metta, ahisma, karuna and understanding.
- Example of the bee which takes nectar without harming the flower
- concerned about the rights of animals, they should be respected and God wants us to look after the world and its creations
- 'so do not be afraid, you are worth much more than sparrows' - shows that eating animals is ok.
- Some chose to be vege and say that animal experimentation is wrong as other methods are just as good.
- Some are ok with it aslong animals are treated with respect.
- Much of their teachings about environment is relevant.
- Many are vege but down to own conscience
- Regard many uses of animals as selfish and unacceptable
- Five precepts point away from cruelty to animals