Muslim Attitudes to Euthanasia
For Muslims euthanasia is always wrong.
- Human life is sacred because it is given by Allah
- Allah chooses how long each person lives
- It is part of a Muslim's duty to care for the sick and elderly
- Suffering is a test of faith and part of life
- No one knows Allah's plans for his creation and humans should not interfere
- Euthanasia is seen as suicide which is not permitted
- All human life is valuable even if a person is suffering
Muslims believe they should trust their lives to Allah and life is a test which determines their afterlife. If they try to end their life, they may end up in Hell rather than paradise.
'No one dies unless God permits' (3:145)
Some Muslims allow terminal patients to choose not to continue with medical treatment if it is causing hardship or family distress. Some Muslims would agree with turning off a life-support machine if nothing further can be done.