What is 'Mobility'?
- Spatial (but does include social too)
- 'The Mobilities Paradigm' - Suggests social science has ignored mobility...
- The 5 interdependent mobilities: Corporeal travel, physcial movement, imaginative travel, virtual and communicative travel. Motivations include 'push and pull' effects. Can include people, objects and information.
Leisure Mobilities: Tourism
- Voluntary movement for leisure, an escape? How free is it?
- 'Comfortable' - relaxing? Are patterns followed through package holidays?
Poverty Tourism - Reality? ('Reality Tours', Mumbai) Educational? Increasing fascination with slums...
What is migration? One way? - Social construct, duration, permanance, motivations, legality??? The boundaries between categories are porous...
Refugees - fears of being persecuted --> Move towards term 'displaced person', recognition of factors leading to displacement, devlopment itself can displace people.
- 43.7m displaced persons globally, 15.4m refugees
- Syrian Civil War
• About why, how and the experiences of the movement
‘it is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end’ (Ursula LeGuin, 1969)
• Connects into political, economic and cultural debates
• Completes our exploration of society-space relations