Anorexia Nervosa Causes:
- Puberty - combination of hormone changes and stress, anxiety and low self esteem.
- Pressures and stress at school - such as exams or bullying.
- Occupations or hobbies where being seen as thin is ideal - such as dancing or athletics.
- Stressful life event - such as losing a job or breakdown of relationship.
- Physical or sexual abuse.
- Imbalance of certain chemicals controlling hunger, appetite and digestion in the brain.
1 of 3
Bulimia Nervosa Causes:
- low self esteem - see losing weight as a way of gaining self worth
- depression - binge to cope with unhappiness
- stress - dealing with traumatic experience i.e. death or divorce, during life changing events i.e. geting married or leaving home
- imbalance of certain chemicals controlling hunger, appetite and digestion in the brain
2 of 3
- Runs in family - different combinations of genes make people more vulnerable to condition
- Subtle differences in structure of brain - may partly be a disorder of the brain
- May have experienced labour complications before and during birth - low birth weight, premature labour or lack of oxygen - may have a subtle effect on the brain
3 of 3