Before I formed you I knew you; before you were born, I set you apart
1980 CofE on abortion
In the light of our conviction that the foetus has the right to live and develop as a member of the human family, we see abortion, in the termination of that life by the act of a man, as a great moral evil
1984 CofE on abortion+ life of the mother
The life of the foetus is not absolutely sacronanct if it endangers the life of the mother
Pope Paul VI on abortion (Humanae Vitae)
You shall not kill by abortion the fruit of the womb. Human life is sacred. All men must recognise that fact.
Human life must be respected and protected absolutely from the moment of conception
Catechism 2272- abortion
Formal cooperation in an abortion constitues a grave moral offence
Catechism 2283 on suicide and euthanasia
The Church prays for the persons who have taken their own lives
Pope John Paul II on euthanasia
We must overcome this kind of silent and cruel selection which unjustly eliminates the weakest members of society
- The former bishop of Canterbury
- Sent a letter to the House of Lords
Roman Williams of euthanasia
It is deeply misguided to propose a law by which it would be legal for terminally ill people to be killed or assisted in suicide by those caring for them. As a result, many who are dying would feel a burden to others. The right to die would become a duty to die.
Do onto others what you would have them do to you
1 Corinthians 6:19
Do you know that your body is a Temple of the Holy Spiril, who is in you, whom you have received from God?
Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I shall give you your rest
God has a great plan for your life. God has created us in His image.
RC Report 1987 on fertility treatments
- Respect for Human Life and the Dignity of Procreation
- "Loving sexual relationship between husband and wife is a proper place for conceiving children"
Catechism 2376 on AID and Surrogacy
Betray spouses' rights to become a father and a mother only through each other
Lord Habgood on IVF
- Former Archbishop of York
- "To be treated with respect essentially, but no different from the product of early miscarriages"
- Surrogacy is never acceptable
- Donations are
Robin Williams on the use of embryos
- "Downgrading of the ordinary processes of reproduction+ upbringing"
- Concerned with how embryos are being used 'instrumentally'- for some other purpose than life+ then destroyed
- Regrets the proposals on removing the need of the father in the process of fertility treatments
Methodist Statement on the treatment of animals
- Horrifying that milllions of animals are killed every year in lab experiements
- Most of them are bred for these purposes
- The outcome is valuable advance in human and veterinary medicine
- Unnecessary experimention+ the use of animals when valid results could be secure from tissue cultures is to be condemned
CofE: Responsibility for the Living Env
- The fact that animals...
- Sympathetic to the use of animals in medical research
- Less enthusiastic about their use in cosmetic products