Sanctity of Life
- Life is sacred/holy
- Life comes from God,
- Genesis: story of bible.
- God created man in his own image- means part of God is within humans.
- Humans are special, should be treated with respect.
- Only God has the right to give and remove life.
1 of 7
- Help someoen to conceive
- IVF: Invitro Fertilisation. (Test Tube Baby)
- AIH: Artificial Insemination by Husband.
- AID: similar but by donor.
- IVF: spare embryos are created, and if not implanted, they are destroyed. This is seen as murder.
- Catholics do allow AIH, but not AID as they see by donor as adultery. (relating to the 10 commandments)
- Other Christians allow fertility treatment because it is done out of compassion. It brings new life, and also children often bond a marriage.
2 of 7
- Helping someone to die.
- Mercy killing- assisted suicide.
- Volunteering- asking for help.
- Involuntary- unable to make a decision.
- It is illegal in the UK, although it is allowed in Switzerland so many people visit there in order to have euthanasia.
- Roman Catholics- against it as life is sacred.
- Some Christians might agree to show compassion & love- agape.
3 of 7
- "Playing God"
- Requires DNA- embryo cells.
- "Humans are made in the image of God."
- Should be unique
- Should be valued and not treated as a commodity
- Would a clone have a soul?
4 of 7
Animals in medical research
- Genesis- Creation Story
- Dominion- humans in change
- Stewardship- take care of the animals and the world.
- Animals- treated with kindness and respect.
- Roman Catholics- animals dont have a soul, animals can be tested on for medical reasons and humans are more important.
5 of 7
- Removal of a foetus-embryo prematurely.
- Allowed in the UK upto 24 weeks.
- Allowed anything if mothers life is at risk or seriously disabled.
- Prochoice- womans right to choose for legal abortion.
- Prolife- anti-abortion. For the rights of the unbornchild. "Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you." Jeremiah (not Jeremih with his crude song)
- Roman Catholics- obviously against as they are with everything, unless the mothers life is at risk. Life begins at conception.
- Others may say "less of 3 evils.
- What if the woman was sexually attacked which meant she became pregnant? Just cruel.
6 of 7
- Is seen to be wrong
- Sanctity of life
- More compassion nowadays due to the raised awareness of mental health disorders such as deep depression.
- Attempted suicide was once illegal and the ironic thing is they were sentenced to death,
- Was seen as a sin
7 of 7