BBFC Basic Information
- Established in 1912 under the name of British Board of Film Census
- Renamed the British Board of Film Classification in 1985
- An independent non governmental organisation given responsibility over classifying films for release in in British cinemas
- Funded by the film industry
- The Video Recordings act (1984) - All films must be given a classification by a recognised source, in this case the BBFC.
- Statutory regulations still exist that mean local authorities can change a rating for their local area.
1 of 2
PCC Basic Information
- An independent nongovernmental organisation funded entirely by the British Press
- Established in 1991 as a successor to the Press Council
- Made up 16 members which consists of: Editors, Journalists and The general public working under a independent chairman.
- They deal with complaints from people about things published in British Press
- They do not impose fines at all merely aim to 'Resolve' issues.
- In 1990 the government said there needed to be a new non-statutory Press complaints commission as the British Press was "Drinking at the last chance saloon"
2 of 2