- Created by: Holly_Donoghue01
- Created on: 04-04-19 11:53
Hanz Zimmer - 'Inception' 'Dream is Collapsing'
- The elaborate 'dream within a dream' set up during the film begins to collapse as various crisis in each level trigger a violent shock which will wake the dreamer at the next level up.
- Accompaniment in low strings, suggesting depth and darkness
- music builds gradually which suggests the overarching links between the scenes all coming to a synchroised climax.
- begins on electric guitar, repeated quavers with echo.
- melody obsessively repeates a single note (six times) and then the semitone below it
- fortissimo accented brass chords underline the harmony
- horn countermelody in dotted minims, often clashing with the harmony (added 2nds and 7th feature)
- huge build up of dynamics with increase in texture
- layers of ostinato rhythm build up over the circling chord changes: upper strings added to guitar lines, further harmony added, distorted guitar chords added.
- high violins continue to play a melody consisting only of a semitone with a cross-rhythmic 6/8 against the prevailing 3/4 metre
1 of 3
Hanz Zimmer - 'Inception' 'Dream within a dream'
- Driving, with intensity (crotchet =126), creates tension through the tempo
- minor key and chromatic movement
- time signature 6/4, creates poor sense of pulse
- no sense of total centre, no functional harmony
- first two notes, perfect 4th = motif
- bar 4, bassline - notes tied across two beats
- minimalism - hold two notes down, sounds within sounds, links to drem within a dream, minimalist movement
- bar 5, first chord = E major chord
- bar 3, first chord = C major abd dotted rhythms that are turned to octives
- bar 17, first chord uses 5th and not the 3rd of chord
- bar 18, Gb major
- bar 19, Eb major
- bar 20, B major raised 7th chord.
- bar 21, G minor chord
- = fast harmonic rhythm
2 of 3
Bernard Hermann 'Vertigo' 'Carlotta's Portrait'
- monophonic/tonic pedal notes throughout
- quiet dynamics sustained throughout
- low register woodwind/horn chords
- chromatic melody with narrow range
- tremolo violins/celeste
- obsessive spanish habanera/tango rhythm on spanich theme of the portrait
- slow moving mysterious chords, mainly minor tonality, but with unexpected chromatic shifts, producing some augmented and diminished harmony, often quite dissonant (through subtly) against the pedal note
- phrase repeated with muted horns and high violins doubling the melody
3 of 3