Mass Spectrometry: technique used to weigh atoms
- what iotopes exist in an element
-what atoms exisit in a molecule
-how molecules are put together
If you push a moving object it will change course - The amount it is deflected depeds on the force used and the mass of the object.
1. Vapourisation of sample
2. Ionisation: electrons are knocked of atoms by beam of fast moving electrons (creates + charged ions). (if molecule - same but breaks into dif fragments)
3. Acceleration: +ve ions attracted to -ve plate with small whole in it. Some pass through hole as fine beam.
4. Deflection: moving charged ions create magnetic field. This is why their direction is changed when they reach the magnet
5. Dectection: Ions with correct mass hit dectector. Others hit wall of tube.