- Created by: Clare
- Created on: 01-06-14 15:42
1571 Ridolfi Plot
- Plot to marry Mary to Norfolk and secure her accession to the English throne.
- The plot was made by Ridolfi.
- Philip was willing to give his support with 10,000 troops from the Duke of Alba and financial aid.
- The support never materialised.
- Privy Council wanted her execution but Elizabeth refused so she didn't annoy Spain and France.
Throckmorton Plot 1583
- Mary wanted to assert her claim on he English throne.
- the Duke of Guise and Spanish Ambassador planned to reassert Catholic control in England and use it as a base to invade England.
- Showed a franco-spanish alliance would be used against England.
- Elizabeth, again, didn't execute Mary.
1584- Bond of Association was made- a lynch law that if a plot was uncovered trying to remove Elizabeth, both James and Mary would be destroyed.
1585- Act for preservation of the Queen's safety- only Mary would be barred from the succession if a plot was found.
Babington Plot 1586
- Walsingham was convinced there was a plot to replace Elizabeth with Mary.
- Gifford was arrested for plotting on Mary's behalf.
- He agreed to act as an agent for Walsingham and set up communication between Mary and the French ambassador through putting letters in a beer cask.
- Mary agreed to the Babington plot- English catholics would rise with the Catholic league and she wrote emphasing the need for foreign support.
- This was enough for Mary to be removed.