- Created by: lwilson23
- Created on: 06-02-19 12:08
Key Points to Mention in Essay
- at Beaufort's ball in chapter 3 - May and her entourage are all dressed similarly (same colour dress etc.) - reflective of 'the product of the system' quote.
- Newland and May's discussion about the future of their relationship in chapter 10 takes place in a garden with caged birds - potential foreshadowing about the constraint of freedom that Newland will later feel shown through the use of a symbol. More birds in Boston than New York also.
- in scenes that take place at Ellen's abode, the fire is usually burning and great focus is often placed on it through close-up shots - the fires of love? Sparks fly.
- after his marriage to May - Newland constantly wears bright colours such as cream and white, potentially reflective of his artifical happiness or 'corruption' of his individuality by May.
- shot of all men wearing black and walking in the same direction is a statement on conformity.
- May physically 'stands up' for herself in the chapter 32 argument with Newland.
- Ellen memory at end of film is full colour whereas the original scene was in sepia - memory more powerful than reality?