Marshall Plan - Part 1
- Truman believed that communism had succeeded when people faced harship and poverty
- George Marshall visited Europe in June 1947
- He returned convinced that western Europe were about to turn communist as he said every country in Europe was poor
- The aim of the Marshall Plan was to help Europe recover economically as quickly as possible
- This put the Truman Doctrine into action - President Truman would help any nation threatened by communism
1 of 3
Marshall Plan - Part 2
- Countries in Europe owed the USA $11.5 billion
- There were extreme shortages of all goods and in the winter of 1947.
- There was a coal shortage so huge that in Britain all electricity was turned off for a period of time each day
- Truman gave $17 billion to Europe and this money was spread between 16 countries to stop them from giving into Communism
- People now had money for food, clothing and the rebuilding of their homes after the war
2 of 3
How did this cause tension?
- Stalin believed taht the USA wanted to dominate the world through Dollar Imperialism.
- This means that countried could depend on loads from the USA so they would have to do what the USA told them to do.
3 of 3