Calming of the Storm- The Story
- When evening came Jesus said to his disciples " let us go over to the other side" , leaving the crowds behind
- A furious storm broke out and waves broke over the boat.
- Jesus was sleeping on a cushion in the stern
- The Disciples woke him and said "Teacher don't you care if we drown?"
- Jesus got up and rebuked the waves "Quiet! Be still!"
- The wind died down and all was calm again
- Jesus said to the disciples "why are you so afraid?, Do you still have no faith?"
- The disciples were terrified and asked each other "who is this?, Even the wind and the waves obey him!"
1 of 3
How does the calming of the storm help Christians
- Gives Christians undergoing persecution encouragement
- Tells them to persevere in the face of the "Storms" they may come across
- Tells them to remain faithful
- Shows Jesus as a savior - can save us from "storms" and difficulties
- Shows the presence of God in their lives
- Gives them hope
2 of 3
Meaning of the Calming of the Storm
- This is one of the 5 nature miracles in Mark's Gospel
- Demonstrates the power Jesus has over nature
- Mark tells this story as if the sea is possesed by evil spirits which Jesus casts out
3 of 3