- Luther's father ran small business
- Luther brought up in religious orthodoxy.
- Showed interest in relgion at school.
- Luther sent to university of Erfert in 1501 to study lliberal art.
- dissatisfied with course: attracted to religious life.
- 1505 L. underwent profound psycholgical experience: promised St. Anne he would devote life to servic of God.
1 of 3
Obsession with sin
- Entered house of Augustinian friars to become a priest.
- developed fixation with sin.
- refused to believe his religious position would guarentee salvation- constantly confessing sins.
- Obsession undermined foundations of tradional faith assocaited with good faith.
Transference to Wittenberg
- When visting Rome (1510) L. shocked by what he saw- dissolusioned with the lax piety of administration of indulgences and commercialism of operation.
- L.'s superior Johanned Von Staupitz sent luther to university of Wittenburg for a better suited position.
2 of 3
period of transition
- 1512 Luther appointed preacher in the town Church of Wittenburg.
- Began to lecture in university- lectures on Galations distinguished between law and the gospel as expression of revelation.
- Luther's views became dependent on biblical texts- took them literally.
Theology of humility
- Luther developed belief that only by confessing absolute helplessness before God could man reach salvation---> supported by writings of St. Augustine.
3 of 3