more concerned with the present life than the after life.
- Called upon Church "white magic" and rituals for comfort and control over weather, crops, droughts.
- Rituals often had no link with recognised form of worship.
- Growth of rituals shows continued spread of religion into normal life.
Importance of saints
- Saints were approachable- Virgin Mary was important intercessory
- Saints called upon to bless questionable activities. Aim of rituals was to achieve personal gain.
- Educated church men found manipulation of rituals for their own gain to be inapropriate.
1 of 2
Elite religion and Humanism
- Some just as superstitious of their faith as peasant (Frederick of Saxony)
- Main concern was fate of their soul in the after life- consequently aimed to live out a good christian life.
- Elite invested in good causes which brought spiritual benefit. (fithteenth century- disposing of all assets)
- Branch of elitism
- Humanists interest in Greek literature and biblical studies led their beliefs to become biblical based---> consequently judged aspects of western religion.
- contemptuous of popular piety.
- Originally welcomed by elitists as they too were serious about religion.
- Humanists influencial in education of younger generations.
- Erasmus became spokesman for humanists in 16th century.
2 of 2