Diet of Worms
- Leo X needed political support to condemn L.
- Charles had sworn not to condemn anyone in 1519 without hearing.
Diet of Worms:
- L. summoned to answer Imperial diet at worms in 1521.
- Promise of safe conduct respected.
- L. refused to withdraw, claimed reason was the Holy Spripture.
- Not simple for Charles due to sympathy felt for Luther and hatred for Hapsburgs by delegates (princes).
- Charles waited till major opponenets departed until passing condemnation.
1 of 2
- F. did not trust promise of L.'s safe paasge home and his men took L. to castle of Wartburg for refuge
- 1522 Luther abandone refuge to reassert control in Wittenburgh. sermons `Invocavit`.
- Established new system of congregational discipline under town rather than Bishop.
- reason for Luther's reemergence in 1522. former disciple who led congregation to extremism of anabaptism.
2 of 2
Similar History resources: