Background to Luke: Jesus Rejected from Nazareth
Ø Jesus went to Nazareth - he was brought up there
Ø It was the Sabbath and he went to the synagogue
Ø He stood up to read and was handed the scroll of Isaiah.
Ø He read: “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me because he has CHOSEN ME… to give the good news...”
Ø He rolled up the scroll and then he said: “This passage of scripture has come true today, as you heard it being read”
Ø The congregation were well impressed and marvelled.
Ø Someone said “isn’t he the Son of Joseph?”
Ø Jesus replied: “prophets are never welcomed in their home town”
Ø After saying a few more things, the crowd was filled with anger.
Ø They wanted to throw him off a cliff, but he just walked away.
Background to Luke: The Introduction
- “Dear Theophilus” – written to a lover of God
- “I thought it would be good to write an orderly account for you … so that you will know the full truth” – reason why Luke wrote the Gospel
Salvation: The Birth of Jesus is Announced
- Elizabeth was in her sixth month of pregnancy
- Angel Gabriel came to Nazareth
- This message was for a young woman promised in marriage to Jospeh, a decendant of King David