Chapters One and Two
- Group of boys evacuated due to war involving England. Marooned on small island.
- Ralph + Piggy FIND CONCH. Ralph blows it to call other survivors to beach.
- Choirboys arrive, led by Jack Merridew - mostly older boys.
- RALPH ELECTED LEADER. Jack displeased. Choir --> Hunters
- Ralph, Jack + Simon explore. Jack almost kills piglet.
- Meeting called. Conch becomes SYMBOL of AUTHORITY.
- Boys argue over existence of beast.
- FIRE LIT to attract attention, but BURNS OUT OF CONTROL. Boy with birthmark disappears.
1 of 6
Chapters Three and Four
- Jack takes delight in tracking pigs, but fails to kill any.
- Ralph constructs shelters but with limited success - lack of help.
- JACK + RALPH ARGUE OVER PRIORITIES (hunting vs. shelters + boys' general well-being)
- Simon goes into forest alone.
- Roger + Maurice destroy smaller children's sandcastles. Roger throws stones at Henry.
- RALPH SPOTS SHIP. Chance of rescue disappears because fire left unattended.
- Hunters return with pig. Ralph angry with Jack for letting fire go out.
- Feeling guilty, JACK LASHES OUT AT PIGGY - smashes a lens in his glasses.
- Ralph upset, calls a meeting.
2 of 6
Chapters Five and Six
- Ralph points out requirements for survival.
- Discussion turns to 'beastie' - Jack + Piggy dismissive.
- DEAD PARACHUTIST drifts onto island near fire, unseen.
- Sam + Eric believe parachutist is beast, rush to tell others.
- Boys gather on platform, JACK suggests they HUNT beast.
- Ralph, Jack + older boys head off together. Piggy stays with littluns.
- Ralph goes alone to unexplored part of rocky outcrop, soon joined by Jack.
3 of 6
Chapters Seven and Eight
- Ralph notices how dirty boys have become.
- Ralph + hunters try to kill wild boar. In frenzy, re-enact event.
- Ralph, Jack + Roger hunt for beast on mountain-top. See dead parachutist - think it's the beast.
- Boys discuss beast. Jack thinks hunters can kill it. Ralph knows they are boys armed with sticks.
- JACK UNSUCESSFULLY TRIES TO OVERTHROW RALPH as leader. Wanders off, soon secretly joined by many of older boys.
- Hunters kill sow. Plan to invite others to feast with aim of stealing their fire. Put pig's head on stick.
- SIMON HAS 'CONVERSATION' WITH PIG'S HEAD, falls unconscious.
4 of 6
Chapters Nine and Ten
- Simon sees dead parachutist + KNOWS TRUTH about beast.
- Ralph + Piggy join other boys' feast. Dance + chant as thunder stikes.
- Simon stumbles into tribal circle. Seen as beast, KILLED IN FRENZIED ATTACK
- Simon + parachutist washed out to sea.
- Ralph, Piggy, Sam + Eric show signs of guilt. Ralph confused.
- Jack + hunters set up camp on rocky outcrop.
- 3 hunters attack Piggy at night + STEAL GLASSES.
5 of 6
Chapters Eleven and Twelve
- Ralph, Piggy, Sam + Eric decide to confront Jack.
- PIGGY KILLED by falling rock when Roger leans on lever, catapulting rock towards him. CONCH DESTROYED also.
- Sam + Eric captured by hunters, leaving Ralph alone.
- Jack + hunters track Ralph (as if he is pig).
- Jack sets most of ISLAND ON FIRE to flush out Ralph.
- Ralph collapses on beach, looks up, sees NAVAL OFFICER. He is rescued!
6 of 6
Similar English Literature resources: