Loftus and Palmer- Alternative Evidence
Supported by Bartlett
1) Pps reconstructed 'war of the ghosts' rationalising and normalising their stories cause their memories were altered by their schemas (canoe)
2) Supports as L found pps' memories were altered by their schemas (smashed)
3) L is more reliable as done under controlled conditions.
Supported by Carmichael
1) Verbal label will shape the way a memory of a drawing is stored and recalled.
2) L's notion of 'after the effect' info altering initial perception/memory.
3) L is more reliable as she used all data for means, whereas C just used those deemed 'almost entirely different' to orignally drawings- bias.
Challenged by Yuille and Cutshall
1) Interviewed people 4 months after a real armed robbery- including 2 leading questions. Gave accurate recall that matched previous reports.
2) Challenges as it suggest leading questions may not always distort memory.
3) Interviews are less reliable and scientific than lab experiments. L= stronger