Belief about deity
The Nature of God:
- God was incarnate on Earth as Jesus
- He did this to redeem mankind and heighten our sanctity of life
- "That which is unassumed is unhealed" - therefore by Jesus assuming life on Earth he healed our sins and healed us.
- omniscient - all knowing
- omnipotent - all powerful
- omnipresent - everywhere
- omnibenevolent - all loving
- perichoretic community- ultimate ontological community
1 of 3
- Cosmological argument - Saint Thomas Aquinas. Everything that exists has a cause of its existence. The universe exists, therefore the universe has a cause of existence which must be God.
- Teleological argument - William Paley. Everything has a designer, it cannot be random. Therefore the world must have a designer. God must be the designer.
- Feuerbach's argument - He says that there is no God, it is simply a creation of our mind to give us hope. "We project our own image onto God."
2 of 3
What is the Bible?
- 66 books (39 Old Testament, 27 New Testament)
- 41 writers (all male, except there is debate about one possible female)
- OT was written in Hebrew
- NT was written in Greek
- Jesus spoke Aramaic
Genres: History, Gospels, Letters, Prophecy
3 of 3