- Post mortem existence = life carries on after death
- Gives hope and meaning to short lives
- Gives purpose and comfort
- Relationship between mind and body
- Monistic: mind & body linked together - 1 entity - humans = psycho-physical beings
- Dualistic: mind & body distinct & separate - BUT influence each other
Paragraph 1/2 - Resurrection
- Belief - traditional forms of abrahamic religions
- Body dies - one day (Judgement day) God - act divine love - save us - eternal life in bodily form (re-creation of individual - spiritual being)
- Based on - traditional monotheistic religions - Christianity - Jesus resurrection "I am the resurrection and the life, he who believes in me, though he die, yet shall live"
- Soma pneumatikon - those saved - return as spiritual being - bodily resemblance
- Life in heaving generally seen as bodily affair
- Christians, Jews, Muslims believe - causes no intellectual problems - it is part of the revealed truth in their religions
Paragraph 3/4 - John Hick Replica Theory
- Attempted - answer questions of resurrection through his theory
- Believed - if someone died & appeared in another place with same memories + physical features - meaningful to regard replica as the same person - they would be conscious of being that same person
- Argued - all powerful God - able to create replica with all characteristics and memories
- In Philosophy of Religion - stated life after death could be: "as a resurrection replica in a different world altogether, a resurrection world, inhabited only by resurrected persons"
Paragraph 5/6 - Reincarnation
- Traditional Hindu belief - transmigration of souls
- Rebirth into another body
- Karma - persons current situation - dependent upon consequences of actions/thoughts in current and past lives
- Teaches: soul goes through many lives until reaching ultimate reality (nirvana) and soul is reunited with Brahman
- Enough moral progress - needed to enjoy eternity of bliss
- All acts influence future reincarnation
- Good life = good reincarnation
- Becoming popular belief because of peoples experiences
- Biblically based - fits with scriptures - Bible empirical evidence?
- Hope and meaning - Judgement day - something to work towards
- Karma - motivation to be good - e.g. potential criminals?
- Evidence of cases
- Judgement day - when? Already happened? Whilst we wait? Only at end of time we will know
- Resurrected body - what is it? Bible not state
- Cases - from areas were reincarnation = cultural phenomenon - lies?
- Raises questions on mind & body relationship - does it depend on physical body whether we have same/different characteristics?
- Eschatological verification - at the end of time we will know
- Reality of death in this life - cannot know until end of time
I acknowledge life after death - gives meaning and purpose and is central doctrine BUT little empirical evidence - major problem