Lex Manilia- 66BC
- Whilst Rome was preoccupied with Sertorius, Spartacus and pirates, Mithridates was slowly building up his strength.
-Mithridates allied with his son-in-law, Tigranes who was King of Armenia.
-He attacked Roman province of Bithynia.
-The problem had been going on since 74BC when Lucullus had been granted the command in the province of Cilica.
- Lucullus had many usccessesm eventually defeating a combined force of Tigranes and Mithridates in the capital of Armenia- Lucullus looted the capital.
-However, he mistreated his troops, who mutinied, refusing to fight for him.
-Lucullus had also lost the support of Romans, especially the equites, by imposing stricter regulations on taxes, protecting the provincials but penalising the business classes.
- Equites were calling for Lucullus' removal and the optimates weren't supporting him since he invaded Armenia without the Senate's permission.
- Pompey wanted more glory in the wake of this succes and he also had two and a half years of imperium remaining.
-There was very little opposition to extending his command since traders etc, were supporting Pompey.
-Both Cicero and Caesar spoke in favour of the bill.
-Cicero's motivation was that he need to maintain Pompey's suppport- as a novus home, he was relying on Pompey and his supporters for votes to be consul.
Pompey's eastern settlement
- It created new provinces in the east.
-Built cities in these provinces (a Roman 'stamp).
-Client-states (kingdoms which ruled themselves but maintained good relations with Rome)
Benefits for Rome
-Added to and consolidated the empire.
-480million sesterces in war spoils added to the treasury.
-Raised Romes revenue from tributes by 70%
Lex Manilia- 66BC
- Provincials recieved peace and security and Pompey became their patron.
-Pompey increased his overseas clientela (future supporters in case of civil war).
-In Pompey's absence, there was rise of Crassus and Caesar.
-Both men attempting to gain power- join together, Crassus' wealth and Caesar's popularity combined.