Flooding in Bangladesh- LEDC
- land is densely populated.
- three main rivers - Ganges, Brahmaputra and Meghna
- 25% of Bangladesh is less than 1 m above sea level
- seasonal flooding is beneficial as it provides water for crops and makes land fertile
- flat land, easily flooded
How can the risk of flooding be reduced?
The Flood Action Plan is funded by the world bank. It funds projects to monitor flood levels and construct flood banks/artificial levees.
More sustainable ways of reducing the flooding include building coastal flood shelters on stilts and early-warning systems.