- Created by: N221002
- Created on: 20-08-20 11:50
Specialist vocabulary related to a specific occupation such as;
- 'composition' a term used in photography.
- 'summative' a summary of what has been learned over time, used in childcare assessments.
- 'triage' a term used by medical proffessional to treat patients in order of urgency.
Language consisting of words and phrases considered as informal, often associated with young people;
- 'Quid' to refer to money instead of pounds.
- 'Gutted' to be let down or disappointed.
- 'Bunk' refering to skipping class or truancy.
A newly coined word or expression such as;
Language that is old-fashioned and is not used in everyday speech, such as;
- 'Thee' archaic or dialect form of you, as the singular object of a verb or preposition.
- 'Thou art' meaning you are.
- 'Thine' archaic form of yours; the thing or things belonging to or associated with thee.
Informal words and phrases used in eveyday speech, examples include;
- What's up?
Words considered as swearing, informal and forbidden language. Often not acceptable in the work or school environment, it can also be seen as offensive or rude.
Words or expression that relate to one another and can be grouped together as they refer to a specific subject:
- Happy - 'bright', 'cheerful', 'joy', 'pleased', 'family', 'yellow'.
- Computers - 'software', 'modem', 'mouse', 'cursor', 'monitor'.
- Scared - 'dark', 'frightened', 'black', 'fear', 'shaking', 'spiders'.
Denotation and Connotation
Denotation - The literal or primary meaning of a word;
- Discipline - the practice of training people to obey rules or a code of behaviour, using punishment to correct disobedience.
- Home - the place where one lives permanently, especially as a member of a family or household.
- Snake - a long limbless reptile which has no eyelids, a short tail, and jaws that are capable of considerable extension. Some snakes have a venomous bite.
Connotation - Associations the word has, an idea or feeling which a word invokes for a person in addition to its literal or primary meaning.
- 'Discipline' has unhappy connotations of punishment and repression.
- 'Home' has positive connotations of warmth and safety.
- 'Snake' has negative connotations of being secrective and bad.
Hyponym and Hypernym
Hyponym - a word with a more specfic meaning like;
Hypernym - A word with a more generalised meaning like;
Antonym and Synonym
Antonym - a word opposite in meaning to another;
- Good and bad
- Hello and goodbye
- Centre and outskirts
Synonym - a word similar in meaning to another;
- Accomplish and achieve
- End and finish
- Depart and leave