- Created by: nina Ilhan
- Created on: 15-12-18 16:53
- Lagos' original site was on Lagos island.
- By 1960, the city had expanded northwards as a result of a railway line.
- Growth accelerated in the 1970's as a result of the oil boom in Nigeria as people flocked to the city looking for work.
- Living standards fell in the city between 1980 and 1990 but the city continued to grow.
1 of 4
- Highest availability of jobs in Lagos than anywhere else in Nigeria.
- Better quality and variety of schools and universities.
- Lower rates of unemployment in Lagos.
- Unskilled jobs in the informal sector available.
2 of 4
- Low wages and hard labour of farming.
- Fewer jobs opportunities exist other than farming.
- Climate chaneg creating unpredictable weather.
- Political unreast and threat of terrorism from Boko Haranm in the north.
3 of 4
Water Access (Lagos' slum Makolo)
- Houses with all 3 - kitchen, bath and toilet. 10%
- Houses without any of the 3 -kitchen, bath and toilet. 38%
- People collecting water from a well or borehole. 55%
- People with piped water to their house. 11%
- Houses without any form of sewage. 90%
4 of 4