Beliefs and Values
- Monotheism - belief in one God
1 of 58
- Trinity - The belief that God id three in One
2 of 58
- Unity- God's ways of Being One
3 of 58
- Crucifixion - A roman death Penalty suffered by Jesus when he was nailed to the cross
4 of 58
- Christ- The messiah or the anointed One
5 of 58
- Incarnation - The belief that God took Human form in Jesus
6 of 58
- Resurrection - the belief that, after death, the body stays in the grave until the end of the world, when it is raised. Also means Jesus being Raised from the dead.
7 of 58
- Virgin Birth - The belief that Jesus was not conceived through Sex
8 of 58
- Dove - when used as a symbol of the Holy Spirit, It implies Peace
9 of 58
- Fire - when used as a symbol of the Holy Spirit, It implies Purifying Power
10 of 58
- Wind - when used as a symbol of the Holy Spirit, It implies Power
11 of 58
- Faith - Belief in something without Total proof
12 of 58
- Forgiveness- to stop blaming someone and/or pardon them for what they have done wrong
13 of 58
- Reconciliation - bringing together people who were opposed to each other
14 of 58
- Repentance - the act of being sorry for wrongdoing and deciding not to do it again
15 of 58
- Apostolic - the belief that the church can only be understood in the light of the apostles
16 of 58
- Catholic - Universal or Worldwide
17 of 58
- holy - Holy of, or relating to, God. Sacred
18 of 58
- Body of Christ - The belief that the church is Christ's Body in the world continuing his work
19 of 58
- Communion of Saints - all Catholics, both alive and Dead are joined Together and can pray for one another
20 of 58
- Bishops - They are Ordained Men who have a special Vocation and are chosen by the pope. They are responsible for all the churches in a diocese.
21 of 58
- Deacons - those called to assist Bishops, especially in caring for the needy.
22 of 58
- Magisterium - the pope and bishops interpreting the bible and tradition for catholics today.
23 of 58
- Papacy - the office of the pope
24 of 58
- Laity - those who share the mission of the church without being ordained
25 of 58
- Celibacy - living without engaging in any sexual activity.
26 of 58
- Ordination - making someone a priest, bishop or deacon by the Sacrament of Holy Orders.
27 of 58
- Bible - the holy Book of Christians with 66 books split in to Old and New testament
28 of 58
- Apostolic Succession - the belief that the bishops and the pope continue the mission Jesus gave to peter and the Apostles
29 of 58
- Dogmas - The beliefs of the Catholic Church.
30 of 58
- Chrism - The oil used in Baptism, confirmation and ordination
31 of 58
- Vows - Solemn promises made to God.
32 of 58
- Water - used in Baptism as a sign of purification
33 of 58
- Renewal of Baptismal Vows - confirming and deepening the solemn promises made at baptism.
34 of 58
- Liturgy of the Eucharist - the Last Supper is re-enacted and the bread and wine, which is Tran substantiated to become the body and blood of Jesus, is distributed.
35 of 58
- Liturgy of the word - Bible readings in the second part of the mass
36 of 58
- Penitential Rite - the confession and absolution at the beginning of Mass.
37 of 58
- Real presence - the belief that Jesus is Present in the bread and wine of the Eucharist,
38 of 58
- Rite of Communion - Receiving the body and blood of Jesus
39 of 58
- Sacrifice - a surrender of something valuable for the sake of others
40 of 58
- Tabernacle - a safe place in which is kept the blessed sacrament/ consecrated Hosts.
41 of 58
- Absolution - through the action of the priest, God Grants pardon and peace.
42 of 58
- Contrition - sorrow for the sin committed and deciding not to sin again.
43 of 58
- Penance - an action showing contrition.
44 of 58
- Viaticum - food for the Journey
45 of 58
- Christmas - Festival celebrating the birth of Christ
46 of 58
- Lent - Forty days set aside for prayer and fasting
47 of 58
- Holy week - the week beginning with Palm Sunday, remembering the last week of Jesus' Life
48 of 58
- Easter - festival celebrating the resurrection of Jesus
49 of 58
- The ten commandments - the ten rules for living given to God by Moses
50 of 58
- The sermon on the mount - Jesus' description of Christian Living Found in Matthew's Gospel
51 of 58
- Displaying Religion - making a show of your religion for example, by praying i the street
52 of 58
- Judgement - the act of Judging people and their actions.
53 of 58
- Golden Rule - the teaching of Jesus that you should treat others as you would like them to treat you
54 of 58
- Service to other - Showing Christian Values by Helping other people
55 of 58
- Compassion - sharing the distress and sufferings of others
56 of 58
- Concern - to show compassion by becoming involved in other people's distress
57 of 58
- Oppressed - those who are made to suffer by others (especially by governments and the rich and powerful leaders)
58 of 58