Key Features of Detente
Outer-Space Treaty 1967:
- Stopped the arms race spreading to space.
- Both superpowers said that they wouldn't have nuclear weapons in space.
Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty 1968:
- Neither country would supply weapons to other countries to aid their development.
- This stopped other countries being engulfed by the arms race.
SALT 1 (Strategic Arms Limitation Talks) 1972:
- Signed in 1972, it successfully limited the number of weapons they had.
- It imposed limits on the nuclear capability of the USA and USSR.
- They agreed there would be no production of ballistic missiles.
- Submarines would only be produced when the nuclear missiles ran out.
1 of 2
Key Features of Detente (Continued)
Helsinki Conference 1975:
- Security -> Recognition of Europe's borders - USSR accepted that West Germany existed and that it did not belong to them.
- Cooperation -> There was a need for closer economical, cultural and scientific links between the superpowers. This would lead them to closer political agreement.
- Human Rights -> Each superpower agreed to respect their citizens human rights. E.g. thought, speech etc.
- This stabilised the situation in Europe as there was greater cooperation between the superpowers and their European allies.
Apollo-Soyuz Mission 1975:
- A joint mission between the USA and USSR.
- The US Apollo space craft docked with the Russian Soyuz craft in space.
- The 60s was a competetive space race but this represented cooperation between the superpowers.
2 of 2
Similar History resources: