- Created by: Chinni008
- Created on: 12-11-18 18:14
- God is All Loving- Links to Agape Love
- Links to forgiveness- Salvation/ Atonement
- The Parable of the Prodigial Son: A spoilt son leaves home and spends all his inheritence. His father welcomes him home and forgives him even though he did not deserve it.
- John 3:16- "God so loved the world that he gave his only son"
- Leads to a belief in miracles
- Prayer for the sick and dying
1 of 14
- God is All Powerful
- He only acts according to his nature (even if he can do something he may choose not to)
- The Creation Story- God created the world in 6 days
- 10 Plagues of Israel- God punishes the eqyptians
- Noah's Arc - Powerful Flood
- Miracles e.g. St Bernadette in Lourdes
- Show Agape Love towards all
- Show forgiveness
2 of 14
- The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit
- At the baptism of Jesus, a heavenly voice said:
- "You are my beloved son"
- Before ascension Jesus said to his followers:
- "Baptise in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit"
- In modern day Baptism this is said
- Key part of Christian Prayer
- Key part in Apostles Creed and Nicene Creed
- Show/Value Unity
- Makes it a Unique faith - may take it more seriously
- Influences worship
3 of 14
- God is Fair (Justice), He does not discriminate- expects his followers to treat people fairly too
- Links to 10 commandments- Rules to lead a good life
- Links to Parable of the Sheep and Goat- teaches all good people will be rewarded, the bad will be punished.
- 'God's righteous judgement will be revealed' Romans 2
- Arguments against God being Just: People suffer when they don't deserve it e.g. e.g. insects that burrow from the eyes of children and make them blind
- Change behaviour and challenge discrimination
4 of 14
The Problem Of Evil
- Inconsistent triad - suffering cannot exist if God is loving and powerful
- Moral evil - caused by humans due to free will/ devil tempting them
- e.g. Adam and Eve
- Natural evil- caused by natural world (God)
- E.g. Noah's Ark
Influence on christians
- Opportunity to grow spiritually
- Human responsibility to fix problems not God
- Test of faith
- An Omniscient God wouldn't need to test people to know if they would remain good
- Why do innocent people suffer as punishment such as children who haven't had a chance to sin
- If it's apart of God's plan then he is not all loving
5 of 14
Nature of God
- One God/ Monothestic
- (Nicene Creed) 'We beleive in one God'
- Creator of everything
- Transcendant/ Inspires humanity
- Works throughout time
- Possible to have relationship with God
- 'God is spirit' (John 4:24)
- He is Holy
- Jesus is the son of God 'The son is...God's glory and the exact representation of his being' (Hebrews 1:3)
6 of 14
- God created the world in 6 days, 7th day rest , contradicted by science
- Genesis 1 'In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth'
- Literalist view - True historic account (Bible is the word of God + Omnipotent)
- Allegorical View - Each day is symbolic of a time period
- Intelligent design - The universe is ordered, not random so it must have been designed by an intelligent being, which is God
- God is the sole creator/sustainer of the universe
- Everything has a purpose and all humans were created by God
- John 1 'In the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word was God'
- Word = Jesus so he existed long before incarnation
- Christians may respect all human life as equal and valuable, causing them to fight against moral issues like capital punishment, war and abortion as well as environmental issues
- Know there is a reason behind suffering and difficult moments in their life
7 of 14
- Christians will be resurrected in heaven or hell
- It will be in a new spiritual body that lasts forever
- May be Physical - Burial or Spiritual- Cremation
- ‘if Christ had not been raised, your faith is futile’.
- John 10:28 'No one will snatc h them from my hands' - God will protect them
- 'Faith unaccompanied by action is dead' - reward for faith and action is heaven
- Fair judgement as God is loving and Just
- Purgatory is an intermediate state of purification and cleansing before a soul destined for heaven can go to it.
- Two Judgement beliefs: Right after death or On judgement day all souls will be judged
- 'Jesus will come in glory to judge the living and the dead'
- The Parable of the Sheep and Goats
8 of 14
Heaven and Hell
- Heaven is a state of being, a place of eternal bliss and peace
- Hell is a place of fire and torment
- It is a seperation from God
- Humans may reject God therefore it is human choice and not God's will that results in some humans going to hell
- Some christians may believe there cannot be Hell as God is loving - wouldn't eternally punish someone for a temporary sin
- He may even forgive someone in Hell
9 of 14
- Jesus is both fully human and fully divine
- 'The world became flesh and dwelt among us' John 1:14
- Mary was a virgin: God is omnipotent so this is possible
- 'She was found to be pregnant through the holy spirit' Matthew 1
- Some believe it has religious truth
- Shows christians how much God cares by incarnating as human
- Christmas celebrates his miraculous birth
10 of 14
- ‘Father, I give you my spirit; it is finished’
- Learning how God suffered and died for humans might influence Christians to put the needs of others before their own.
- brutality of the crucifixion might strengthen their belief that God cares for them
- Salvation - May lead good lives
- Roman officer remarks ‘truly, this man was the Son of God’.
- Shows how it is a religion for all people - encourages evangelism
11 of 14
- 'I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall live'
- 'And God raised the Lord and will also raise us up by his power'
- In John’s Gospel, it is the risen Jesus who tells Mary Magdalene about his resurrection, and tells her to tell the disciples what she has seen.
- symbolises the finality and end of Jesus’ mission/his divinity and his kingship
- He was in the tomb when he was left, badly injured
- Disciples were mostly executed so no one would want to die for a made up story
- Peter's behaviour changed after resurrection
- Women went to wrong tomb/story made up/Miracles-Hume/Not dead in the first place
12 of 14
- Disobedience to God's Laws
- E.g. Adam and Eve
- Destroyed human relationship with God - 'you came from dust and shall return to dust' Genesis 3
- Sin is passed down generations
- Cannot be stopped without help from God
- 'the only way to the father is through me' - Jesus is saviour
13 of 14
- Atonement = jesus redeeemed mankind from sin by sacrificing himself
- Reconciled God with Humans
- Salvation can be achieved through Grace or Works
- Works = Obeying God's laws e.g. 10 commandments/ Jesus' teachings
- Having a pure heart/mind- Doing actions with Good intentions, not for moral dessert
- 'Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord,Lord' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but one who does the will of my father' Matthew 7
- Grace= Some argue salvation can only come through God's grace (sent through holy spirit/sacraments/practises)
- Shown through Jesus' sacrifice
- The parable of the Prodigal son - forgiven through love and grace, not works
- 'Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved'
14 of 14