- Created by: lydiarose42
- Created on: 12-12-18 20:45
Marx's notion on class
- capitalism is a peculiar economic system
- two classes - bourgeoisie and proletariat
- this is a direct consequence of capitalism - not natural or necessary feature of society
- these classes are needed for capitalism to function
1 of 3
what makes capitalism endure?
- surplus value
- capitalists cannot make profit unless they exploit workers
- marx sees surplus value as basis of capitalism and key for understanding why it persists
2 of 3
how does capitalism function?
- the two classes need each other
- their relationship can only be based on exploitation
- mutual need for each other does not mean harmony
- only working class can achieve full consciousness and bring happiness to society through revolution - a future without social class
- class conflict is inevitable but so is revolution
- communist manifesto: "its fall and the victory of the proletariat are equally inevitable"
3 of 3
Similar Sociology resources: