New German Government
- Kaiser Wilhelm II had ruled Germany as a monarch.
- At the end of the First World War there was a period of violent unrest
- The Kaiser was forced to Abdicate in November 1918
- Early 1919, a new government led by Friedrich Ebert changed into a republic
- It was set up in Weimar, because Berlin was unsafe
- Ebert was the first president and Scheidemann was Chancellor
- Ebert was the leader of the Social Democratic Party, the new country was democratic
- At first Ebert refused to sign the treaty, but Germany was too weak to risk starting conflict again.
1 of 1