- President 1976-1980
- Jimmy Carter was a largely unknown Democrat candidate.
- He tried to restore faith in the government and included more black Americans and more women in his administration.
- He was heavily criticised for his handling of a situation with US hostages in Iran in 1979 and only served one term.
1 of 4
- President 1980-1988
- Before Reagan was president he was a Hollywood actor, then the Governor of California.
- Before he came to office, there was high unemployment and inflation.
- He cut taxes but got rid of a lot of the welfare system.
- When the Recession struck he raised taxes again.
- In 1984, Reagan's economy was doing well and he was elected again.
- Reagan was involved in a space program called 'Star Wars', which involved lasers in space. It was meant to protect America from the Russians.
2 of 4
George Bush Senior
- President 1988-1992
- Promised not to raise taxes in his election campaign
- The government was in heavy debt and this got worse when the USA fought the Gulf War.
- He had to break his promise.
3 of 4
- President 1992-2000
- US economy boomed
- Stock market grew
- Unemployment fell
- He was thought to have a good foreign policy
- Unemployment was highest amongst ethnic minorities.
- Monica Lewinsky scandal - he had an affair with an intern called Monica Lewinsky. The scandal echoed the Watergate scandal.
- Inequality between the rich and the poor got worse.
4 of 4