on order for ict hardware to operate it needs two types of software: system software and application software.
applications software is software that allows the comouter to beapplied to a particular problem
systems software is any computer that manages and controls the hardware thus allowing the application software to do a useful job. system software is a set of programs which instruct the hardware what to do .
operating systens- is to allow the application software to interact with the computer hardware.
command line driven interface - where you have to type in commands in a certain language for the computer to do something.
- quicker on some instanses it is quicker to type in a commmand lane rather than using the mouse etc
- very diffiuclt for users to use you have to learn the structure of commands
- have to remember instructions it is hard to remeber the instructions/commands you need to do a particular task.
graphical user interface GUI
GUI'S are populare because instead of typing in commands you just have to click on them
main features of GUI's
- windows- the screen is divded into areas called windwos this is useful if you want o do severa task at once
- icons - these are small pictures used to represent commands
- menu- allow user to make seletion from list
- no language needed
- easiers to use a mouse
- use of icons
- more memory is needed
- increased processing requirements
file management software is provided as part of the systems software:
- file/folder organisation - used to create folders, copy folders etc
- backup copy - used for the taking of backup foro security purposes
- file compression- used to compress files before storing or being sent over a netwirk
- defragmentation - used to tidy up the surface of magnetic hard drive so that files can be accessed and read more quickly by the operationg system.
- file recovery- used to recover deleted / damaged files
- uninstallers - software used to remove all the files put onto the computer when a piece of software was installed.
peripherals are input devices e.g printers, scanner etc
each peripheral device need a software to work with called peripheral drivers. so it needs driver software to be installed.
- provide communiocation between operating systems/applications software and the peripheral device.
- convert instructions from the software into a form the peripheral device can understand.
- enable the peropheral device to work with other applications and opertationg systems
- produce error messges
peripheral driver are installed straight away when the peripheral is plugged in or you ca install them using a disk, or from the internet.
health and saftey
main health problem that may occue in ivct systems are
- back ache
- eye strain
back ache - use adjustable chair, sit up straight, make sure screen is lined up and tilted at appropriate angle.
RSI - adjust chsir, document holder, wrist rest, learn how to type properly, use and ergnomic mouse/ keyboar
eyestrain - keep the screen clean, use appropriate lighting, regular eye test, dont sit too near to the screen.
stress - the pace of work, worrying about new technology, software that is fustriting to use because it has been designed baldy, losing work.