Date: 11th March 2011.
Location: North east coast of Japan (250 miles from Tokyo). M.E.D.C
Tsunami Location: Sendai.
Magnitude:8.9 and lasted 6 minutes.
Aftershocks: at least 124 greater than 5 magnitude.
Death toll: 18,000
Economic damage: $250 billion to $309 billion
Physical Cause: Thrust faulting on or near the subduction zone- The Ocean Pacific Plate subducted the Eurasian Plate.
- Tsunami reached 6 miles inland
- Nuclear explosion at the Fukishima power plant damaged by floods
- Fires in the capital and oil refinery ablaze near Tokyo.
- Death toll:18,000
- 2,000 people injured
- Damage to infrastructure with roads, rails, power and ports were wiped. This proved difficult for relief.
- People missing
- Houses wiped out by the tsunami. 4,700 destroyed and 50,000 damaged
- Economic damage to fishing ports
- Cars, rains and boats floating causing damage
- Disruption to education
- Local shops running out of goods
- Hospitals deprived of aid
Japan was prepared for the earthquake but the unexpected tsunami caused major issues
- 91 countries have offered aid, from blankets and food to search dogs and military transport.
- A British rescue team has arrived in Japan to join the search for survivors of the earthquake and tsunami.
- Several charities, including Save the Children UK, British Red Cross and World Vision UK, are asking for donations.
- due to damaged roads and rails, aid was being transported via air or sea transport