- Created by: Amy
- Created on: 26-03-13 18:40
Religious Teachings: Human Dignity
- God is the creator of all and believe all people are "One in Christ" (Galatians 3)
- Jesus showed in his teachings and actions that all people have human dignity
- Jesus mixed with tax collectors like Zaccheus and showed the importance of caring for all through parables e.g. Good Samaritan
- Christian charities such as the Campaign for Racial Justice (CARJ) encourage racial justice and support refugees and asylum seekers
- Teacges all people contain atman
- While Hindus are on eath they believe it is important to help others
- One of the four aims in life is artha - to make weath to support others
- Hindu charities such as Food For Life provide free meals for all
1 of 11
How should we treat others?
- We are all God's creations
- Golden Rule - "Treat others how you want to be treated"
- Stories in sacred books show we should treat everyone with dignity e.g. the story of the good Samaritan
- Religious believers say its a duty to treat others well
2 of 11
What is fair?
- When there is justice
- When everyone has similar treatment
- When there are equal opportunities
3 of 11
What is unfair?
- When there is corruption and injustice
- When people dont share with others
- When human rights arent exercised
- When people are discriminated against
4 of 11
How does the media influence attitudes?
- It can increase pressure on people to be more materialistic through advertising
- It can encourage socail responsibility by exposing injustices
- It can distort or censor reality
- It can show people injustices that are happening in other parts of the world
5 of 11
Religious Teachings: racial, social and gender div
- God created all as equal regardless of gender or race
- Parable of the Good Samaritan - caring for all
- Marting Luther King Jr led a campaign against discrimination
- Jesus didnt have any female apostles but most of his teaching and miracles were with women
- Ahimsa (harmlessness) is key - shouldnt be hurt because of gender or race or socail status
- Women have very important roles at home - perform puja (ceremonial worship)
6 of 11
Why are people prejudiced?
- Peer pressure - forcing peers to do something they dont want to
- Stereotyping - one person doesnt represent all people
- Fear - what if there are no people left like me
- Envy - people who have more or are better than you
- Education - not able to go to school
- Ignorance - Listen to what other people say about each other dont find out for yourself
- Everyone is different!
- Family pressure - believing the same as parents
7 of 11
Is equality possible?
- It is something to be strived for but it doesnt come naturally
- Depends on what it is that is supposed to be equal - status, opportunities
- Being equal doesnt mean eveyone is the same
- All religions show the importance of treating others how you wish to be treated
8 of 11
Religious Teachings: Wealth and charity
- "Blessed are you who are poor, yours is the kingdom of God"
- Bible teaches to share e.g. John the Baptist taught those with coats must share one
- Many will try work in vocational jobs where they are helping others
- Giving to charity has always been important
- Wealth is loaned by God and therefore it is important how it is used
- Personal wealth should be gained through lawful means (artha)
- Material possessions arent of lasting value
9 of 11
What do we need and what do we want?
- A want is a wish or longing for something, without we wouldnt suffer hardship
- Religions teach that we need spiritual values rather than money
- A necessity is something without which we would have extreme hardship or maybe die e.g. oxygen, water, food, shelter
10 of 11
What should people's attitudes be towards wealth?
- Those with wealth have a responsibility to support others
- There is a difference between spiritual wealth and financial wealth
- Many religions show the importance of using wealth to help others
- It important in all religions that wealth is used wisely
11 of 11