- Created by: amy-vousden
- Created on: 16-04-15 10:22
KEY POINTS ABOUT IONIC BONDING:
- Ionic bonding is the transferring of electrons, where an atom will either lose or gain an electron to form a charged particle (ion).
- Ionic compounds aalways have giant ionic lattices.
- They are arrange
- The ions are closely packed together in a regular lattice arrangement
- Strong electrostatic atttraction between oppositely charged ions in all directions.
- High melting points, high boiling points due to strong attraction between the ions - it takes a lot of energy to overcome this attraction.
- When ionic compounds melt, the ions are free to move and they'll carry electric current.
- Atoms that have lost or gained an electron (or electrons) are ions!
- Ions have the elctronic structure of a noble gas!
1 of 1