- Created by: claudia.lister
- Created on: 08-04-19 14:24
- "One person and one line of enquiry. Otherwise there is a muddle."
- "It's my duty to ask questions."
- "A nasty mess somebody's made of ."
- "You used the power you had, as the daughter of a good customer and also a man well-known in the town, to punish the girl just because she made you feel like that?"
1 of 17
- "We'll have to share our guilt."
- "As soon as i mentioned the name Dasiy Renton, it was obviuos that you'd known her. You gave yourself away at once."
- "And then you decided to keep her - as your mistress?"
- "Your daughter isn't living on the moon. She's here in Brumley too."
- "Apologise for what - doing my job?"
- "I know why she needed help. But as i wasn't there,, i don't know what she asked from your commitee."
2 of 17
- "But each of you helped to kill her. Remember that. Don't forget it."
3 of 17
- "These silly little war scares."
- "A man has to make his own way."
- "If you don't come down sharply on some of these people, they'd soon be asking for the world."
- "I was quite justified."
4 of 17
- "Now Shelia, i am not defending him. But you must understand that alot of young men - "
- "Look, Inspector, you're not trying to tell us that - that my boy - is mixed up in this - ?"
5 of 17
- "You're the one i blame for this."
6 of 17
- "But these girls aren't cheap labour - they're people."
- "I'll never, never do it again to anybody."
7 of 17
- "No, he's giving us the rope - so that we'll hang oursleves."
- "And probably between us we killed her."
- "Mother, i think that it was cruel and vile."
8 of 17
- "The point is, you don't seem to have learnt anything."
- "I tell you - whoever the insepctor was, it was anything but a joke."
9 of 17
- "We're respectable citizens and not criminals."
- "I don't come into this suicide business."
- "Yes. We can keep it from him."
10 of 17
- "She's obviously had about as much as she can stand."
- "She was young and pretty, and warm hearted - and intensly greatful."
- "I'm rather more - upset - by this business than i probably appear to be."
- "I insisted in a parting gift of enough money."
11 of 17
- "Everything's all right now Shelia. What about this ring?"
12 of 17
- "I left 'em talking about clothes again. You'd think a girl never had any clothes before she gets married. Women are potty about 'em."
- "Why shouldn't they try for higher wages?"
13 of 17
- "Could i have a drink first?"
- "Yes. I wasn't in love with her or anything - but i liked her - she was pretty and a good sport"
- "Because you're not the kind of father a chap goes to when he's in trouble - that's why."
- "You don't understand anything. You never did"
- "The girl's dead and we all helped to kill her - and that's what matters - "
14 of 17
- "When you're married you'll realise that men with important work to do sometimes have to spend nearly all their time and energy on their business."
15 of 17
- "We can understand why the girl committed suicide. Girls of that class - "
- "It would be much better if Shelia didn't listen to this story at all."
- "A young unmarried girl is being dragged into this."
- "But i think she only had herself to blame."
- "I blame the young man who was the father of the child... if the girl's death is due to anybody, then it's due to him."
- "You're quite wrong to suppose i shall regret what i did."
16 of 17
- "Didn't i tell you? Didn't i say i couldn't imagine a real police inspector talking like that to us?"
17 of 17
Similar English Literature resources: