Attempts inhabitants make...
Neighbours help each other with building and some have even built small schools.
1 of 4
- Involve the government and local people working together to improve life.
- The government supplies building materials.
- Local people use them to build/improve their own homes.
- This provides better housing.
- The money that is saved on labour can be used to provide basic services:
- Clean running water
2 of 4
Site and Service Schemes
- People pay a small amount of rent for a site.
- They can borrow money to buy building materials to build/improve a house.
- The rent money is then used to provide basic services for the area.
3 of 4
Local Authority Schemes
- Funded by the local government.
- Improving the temporary accommodation built by residents.
- The city of Rio, in Brazil, spend $120 million on the Favela-Bairro Project.
- This project is aimed to improve life for the inhabitants.
4 of 4