VENICE, NORTH EAST ITALY
- world heritage site
- known for agriculture - want to preserve land
- long lagoon stretches from one river to another.
- sea levels risen by 2 meters - floods 200 days of the year, before this only used to be 7 days a year
- fresh water is not pumped out of the river and melting ice caps, silt and methane gas continue to city lowering - sinking land
- moses project - gates raised when tides come to stop water
- building buildings from impermeable rock?
1 of 2
CONTANOU, BENIN - LEDC
- biggest city in west africa
- population of over 1 million
- narrow ***** of land
- shoreline retreated by 400 meters - loss of 112 hectares of land
- sea lever rise
- ecosystems at risk - tourist area
- if retreating still happend there will be a loss of holiday homes
- construction of groynes - management 195 hectares of land will be lost in the next 20 years - implications of food growth, tsetse fly gives diseases
- low sanitatin because of water.
- malaria from mosquitos - trying to provide mosquito nets and vacinations in the long term
- the land will still retreat - going to move Benin to keep people safe
2 of 2