- Worrying challenge to the traditional family
- Increase in promiscuity, cohabitation, divorce, illegitimacy, single-parents = BAD
- Easier access to divorce & abortion are worrying
- Equal rights undermines the essential differences between genders
- State support is costing too much - reduces individual responsibility
- Single-parent families cannot function properly
- Lack of traditional = educational failure, deliquency & drug abuse - UNDERCLASS?
- Women have less to gain from marriage
- Divorce may help escape from conflict/violence
- Changes are good as they reflect an increased ability to feel independent
- Many of the problems cited from single-parents are more likely to originate from poverty or "bad homes" rather than "broken homes"
- Lone-parenting could be the result of positive choice
- Little incentive in gaining the low income/poor housing provided by the state.
Does this point to the disintergration of the fami
DENNIS - many single parent families have committed fathers. Cohabitation & illegitimacy often conceal what could be nuclear families
CHESTER - most reconstituted families are "neo conventional". Biggest change is the role of the wife.
BROWN - fewer "shotgun weddings" which means more stable relationships - less rushed!
In conclusion, although the family has changed this does not necessarily mean that it has disintergrated. Some family values are still maintained thhrough many different types of household.