- Created by: ambermason0608
- Created on: 29-08-18 14:37
Contributory factors before 1914
Tsar- indecisive, weak, unwilling to abandon autocracy, Not prepared to make concessions to representative government
Political system- still largely an autocracy: repressive, often corrupt, outdated
Middle classes- Growing professional middle class, who wanted a greater role in national government
Urban workers- alienated and disaffected. Strikes increasing
Peasants- still mainly poor, and hungry for more land. Class of hostile landless labourers developing
Impact of War
- Defeats hit morale of army. Soldiers increasingly reluctant to fight
- Tsar's desicion to take control of army in September 1915 a major mistake- he was personally blamed for defeats. Disastrous efforts to run the country by Tsarina and Rasputin damaged his credibility further
- Middle classes saw government as incompetent. Wanted a more representative government
- Devastating economic impact of war in the cities: inflation, unemployment, shortages of food, fuel, raw materials, etc.
- Peasants hit by loss of sons in war and loss of animals to the army. Food production falling
Support for the Tsar eroding fast all levels by the end of 1916. The generals told the Tsar they would no longer support him.
SPARK!!!!!!!! = February Revolution