New Arrivals -
- Mostly settled in large cities rather than in small towns. A mixture of immigrants from different countries seeking a better life.
- Tended to stick together in groups, usually from the same country. Tension between protestants as they usually are catholic. Make other Americans suspicious. Socilaising difficulties.
Religious Divide (C+P) -
- Protestants saw themselves as more of a true US citizen. Catholics were new and un-American.
Living Standards -
- Found it hard to get well paid work so lead to theft and other crimes. Willing to settle for a low pay if it was better than their last. Created organisations to help each other find jobs, housing etc.
- Believed to have brought crime & Alcoholism. Traditions and cultures amongst a mixed population. Threat of too many changes happening too fast.
- KKK (Disliked Black People), W.A.S.P = White Anglo Saxon Protestants...result of mass immigration. Trade Unions, opposed to firing workers for immigrants.
Immigrants from all over (No skills/Low wages) ...
Move to the USA - Seeking a better life ...
Willing to work more hours for less meaning higher chance over non-immigrants ...
Jealousy & Tension between immigrants & workers. Battle for the better end.