ICT - RED - DATA
Data is very valuable to organisations. Errors in data can lead to loss of business and incorrect decisions.
ICT - RED - Validation and Verification
Validation and verification checks seek to avoid allowing errors into computer systems.
Types of Errors:
- Data collected onto a data capture form or questionnaire may be recorded incorrectly.
- Forms are designed carefully using unambiguous questions and boxes for each character.
- Data may be incorrectly entered into a computer system (Transcription Errors)
- Verification methods (double keying, visual checks) and
- Validation methods (Range checks, Format checks etc.) may be used.
- Data collection errors - already wrong before stored.
- Transcription errors - mistype
- Processing errors
- Transmission errors - data from A to B gets messed up
ICT - RED - Verification
Verification is the process of checking that data has been transferred successfully from one media to another.
- Parity check - used to check data travelling over a netwrok or on a computer's motherboard.
- Double keying - when you enter things twice (the same thing) e.g. passwords or email addresses.
- Visual Checks
ICT - RED - Validation
Validation is the process of checking that data is legal and valid.
- Range check - asking for a value that falls between a given range. e.g. PLEASE ENTER A NUMBER FROM 1-28 (enter 30) [SUBMIT] [STOP!]
- Format check - checks data that's in the right format. e.g (surname, numbers)
- Check digit - e.g. barcode
- Presence check - e.g. Name* ________ [Submit]
- Batch total
- Hash total