What is ICT?
1) What is ICT?
2) What is an ICT system?
3) How do organisations use ICT systems?
1) Information communication technology is the use of technology for the input, processing, storage and transfer of data and the output of information
2) Those where the output from a system goes directly into another human being or another system
Input- Registration number and refrence number
Processing- check with motor insurance database, check MOT certificate
Outout- TAX disc
Components of an ICT system
1) What are the 6 key components of an ICT system?
2) Give an example of a way people are components of an ICT system
2) Sales, purchase, finance or operations
Data and Information
1) What is data?
2) Name two types of data
3) What is encoding?
4) What is coding?
5) What is processing?
6) What is information?
1) Data ARE raw facts and figures which have not been processed
2) Text, Numbers, Image, Video or sound
3) Encoding is used by computers to convert the data into a machine readable format (ASCII)
4) Some data is coded on collection before being entered, this changes tyhe orginal data into a shortened version by asigning a code
5) Processing is the work the computer does on thew data to be converted into information
6) Information is data that has been processed to give it meaning
People and ICT systems
1) Name the five characteristics that shouild be considered when designing an ICT system
2) Name the four types of interface and give an example for each.
3) Name the six key skills required to work as an IT professional
- Physical characterisitics
- environment of use
- Task being undertaken
- age of user
- natural language- ask jeeves
- GUI- windows
- command line- MS DOS
- menu driven- mobile phones
- good written communication
- good oral communication
- problem solving skills
- willingness to work flexible hours
TRANSFER OF DATA IN AN ICT SYSTEM
1) Define intranet
2) Define extranet
3) state a difference between WAN and LAN
4) give one advantage and one disadvantage for client server and peer to peer servers
5) state a difference between the internet and the world wide web
6) Why do we need standards?
1) an itranet is an internal network to communicate via internal email. it is only accessible to people inside the organisation
2) parts of the intranet that are available to the public with a password restrication
3) Wan is wide are, LAN is small. WAN is through telecommunication cables, LAN is through fixed cables owned by the company itself.
4) client server +easier to back up. - costs more
peer to peer +quicker - administration is difficult
5) the internet is the network, the www is the information and media avaiable on it.
6) Interoperability- so that hardware and software from different manufacturers can all work together.
Safety and security of ICT systems
1) Name four threats to ICT systems
2) State four ways to prevent the threats occuring
3) Name the three main law protecting the use of ICT systems
- Human error
- Natural disaster
- Hardware measures
- Software measures
- Data protection act
- Computer misuse act
- copyright, design and patent act
Procedures for backup and recovery
1) What are the six factors that should be taken into consideration when designing a backup strategy?
2) Name the three different types of backup and explain how they work
3) Name three types of back up media
1) What needs to be taken into consideration about recovery?
- What needs backing up?
- How often?
- Backup media?
- Who's responsible?
- Where will it be stored?
- Full backup - backs up all information on the hardrive
- Incremental - saves all files that have changed since the last backup
- Differential - Only different data is saved when backing up
- Magnetic tape
- removable hardive
- optical disc
- Where is the data stored?
- What losses would be made if it takes too long?
- Who is responsible for recovery?
Uses of ICT systems
1) What can ICT provide?
2) Name and describe three types of processing
- Fast, repetitive processing
- Vast storage capacity
- Improved search facilities
- Improved accesability
- Batch - requests are delt with in a large group
- Interactive - involves dialouge between the user and the system
- Transaction - Allows menus to access and update the system at apparently the same time
Factors and consequences of ICT
1) Name the six factors that influence the use of ICT systems
2)How is ICT used in todays society?