Describe the arrangements of elements in the periodic table in order of increasing atomic number.
- The elements are arranged in order of increasing atomic number
Distinguish between the terms group and period
- The columns of the periodic table are called groups
- The rows of the periodic table are called periods
Apply the relationship between the electron arrangement of elements and their position in the periodic table up to Z=20
- The position of an element is related to the electron arrangement in its atom. The period gives the number of energy levels filled and the group gives the number of electrons in its outer shell
Apply the relationship between the number of electrons in the highest occupied energy level for an element and its position in the periodic table.
- The structure of the periodic table is based on the electron sub levels of the atom
- The position of an element in the periodic table is based on the position of the highest energy electron in the ground state atom