How did the war become a world war?
- 3rd September 1939 Britain and France declared war on Germany.
- 17th September USSR invaded Poland
- Poland was quickly conquered
- There was no fighting in Western Europe for 9 months
- When Hitler invaded France in May 1940 he swept through the Netherlands and Belgium and conquered most of France in 2 months
- It was called 'Blitzkrieg' or 'lightning war'
- It was in May 1940 that Churchill replaced Chamberlain
- In June 1941 Hitler invaded the USSR breaking the Nazi-Soviet Pact
- Hitler attacked Russia and didn't invade Britain. This shows Hitler's obsession with power.
Why did America join the War
- On 7th December 1941, the Japanese attacked the US Naval base at Pearl Harbour in Hawaii.
- The Japanese attacked the fleet which were all at Pearl Harbour:
- 8th December America declares war on Japan
- 11th December Hitler declares was on America
- and at this stage the war became a world war
Axis Powers Allies