- Focus on national pride and partiotism. Stalin ackowledged privately that he knew the people were not fighting for the party but for Russia.
- Adoption of the title "The Great Patriotic War"
- Applauded the deeds of pre-communist Russia war heores, presented them as people to be admired.
-Whipping up of Germany as a whole rather than just the Nazi's.
-Stalin's name was constantly held up as a patriotic or even god-like symbol.
-Groups of people (volunteers) used to back up the overstretched army.
- They tended to be untrained in using weapons/equiptment or have ant weapons at all.
- Huge numbers were lost, and many people say they may have been more use in areas such as labour or industry.
- Stalin restored the Russian Orthodox Church during the war - they had never been legally banned but many churches were killed and preists killed.
- This gained him the loyalty and support of Christian/religious communities, as well as using the Church to campaign for the Allies to open up a second front.
- However, soon after the war was won Stalin returned the Church to its restrictive way and discouraged religious activity again.