MAIN FEATURES OF THE COLD WAR
- Spying- Both sides spied on each other, this was mainly to find out any militry develpments. They even used spy planes that could fly at great heights and take pictures. One example was the American U2 Plane. Spying increased the rivalry between the two sides.
- Properganda- Both sides used this to create the worst possible image of the other side and ensure the publics' opinion supported the goverments'. The Soviet Union even used success in sport, espically the Olympics to illustrate the superioty of the communist system.
The Three Conferences- Tehran
The Soviet union allied with Britain and the US during WWII, these three became known as the Grand Alliance.
THE TEHRAN CONFERENCE
- Roosevekt was keen to improve realtiond between thee three Allies and agreed to hold the meeting in Teheran, Iran near the Soviet Union is November 1943.
- Big Three= Roosevelt- USA Stalin- USSR Winston Churchill-UK
- USSR wanted a sphere of influence in Eastern Europe, where communism would be respected. He wanted to protect Russia from neighbouring countries.
- Britain& US wanted the same in Western Europe where Capitalism would be dominant.
THE MAIN AGREEMENTS WERE:
- Britain and the US agreed to open up a secound front by invading France in May 1944.
- The Soviet Union was to wage was against Japan once Germany was defeated.
- The United Nations organisation was to be set up after the war.
- An area of Poland was added to the Soviet Union.
- The big three did not agree on Germany's Future.
THE BIG THREE'S BELIEFS:
Stalin: wanted to punish Germany with reperations.
Roosevelt and Churchill: believed Germany should be rebuilt. They belived that one reason for WWII was Germany's economic problems.