your adrenal glands produce adrenaline when you are frightened,excited or angry. it prepares your body for action.
this leads to the
fight or flight response.
1 of 2
what it does
- it increases the breathing rate and depth to get more oxygen into your body and remove excess carbon dioxide.
- it increases the heart rate and volume, sending more Oxygen and food-rich blood to the muscles for respiration and removing more waste products.
- blood is diverted from the digestive system to the muscles.
- glycogen in the liver is converted to glucose in the blood
- mental awareness increases
- speed of reactions increases
- pupils dilate, making eyes more sensitive to movement.
- the body hair stands on end (useful to other species of mammals for making them look bigger).
2 of 2