Insulin - Regulates blood glucose levels
Action of insulin:
- blood glucose levels normal
- food rich in carbs is eaten
- blood glucose level rises
- pancreas produces more insulin
- insulin:* converts glucose into glycogen for storing
- increases rate of respiration
- increases uptake of glucose from blood into cells
- blood glucose level back to normal
This works as a feedback mechanism.
1 of 2
Diabetes is caused when the body cannot produce enough insulin.
- sugar in the urine
- extreme thirst
These people take insulin via injection. It cannot be taken by tablet because the acids in the stomach would digest it.
2 of 2